Additive Manufacturing //
An additive to innovation
Additive manufacturing and 3D printing are powerful tools, but their full potential is still yet to be realised in many corners of engineering. With high production costs and slow build rates, many businesses still favour traditional engineering techniques. KWSP has long been utilising digital manufacturing processes to build a competitive advantage through its innovative use of technology, delivering cutting-edge solutions for the automotive, motorsport, medical and aerospace sectors
Kieron Salter, managing director of KWSP will explore some of these projects, as well as the process of horizontal innovation, the transfer of skills and knowledge between sectors.
Kieron Salter completed an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering at Oxford Polytechnic (now Oxford Brookes University) in 1993.
In 2003, Kieron and close friend Will Phillips set up K (Kieron) W (Will) Special Projects (KWSP). An ambitious business specialising in exploiting the application and solutions that exist within digital fabrication and additive manufacturing, the company operates within the high performance engineering sector – designing, manufacturing and supplying complete solutions to many industries.
Based in Brackley, KWSP sits at the heart of the UK’s thriving Motorsport Valley and specialises in solving a wide range of engineering challenges via its adoption of horizontal innovation principles.
About Kieron Salter:
- Mechanical engineer with 20 years’ motorsport experience
- Successful entrepreneur – owner and founder of KWM in 2003.
- Owner and founder of KWSP in 2012 – launched to exploit the successful technology transfer from Motorsport to other sectors
- Supplier of Le Mans 24 hour race car chassis engineering for 7 years
Career highlights include:
- Racecar Design and Constructor to Creation Autosportif and Nasamax
- Chief engineer on five cars in Le Mans 2000; and three consecutive LMP Le Mans winners 2001 -2003
- Engineering services to McLaren Automotive (Chassis Composite Structures)
- Chief designer – Touring Cars, Reynard Special Vehicle Projects
- Head of special projects – Reynard Motorsport Ltd